WASHINGTON – Today, U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy (R-LA) released the following statement in response to President Biden’s repeal of Title 42, a Trump administration policy that expedited the deportation of migrants at the Southern border to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Once the policy is lifted, an estimated 170,000 migrants are expected to attempt entry into the United States.
“Removing Title 42 is a mistake that will encourage another wave of illegal migration and drug trafficking to overwhelm the Southern border,” said Dr. Cassidy. “There is no justification for this.”
Background on Cassidy’s recent work to end illegal migration and drug trafficking:
- Cassidy introduced the Drone Act of 2022, which seeks to criminalize dangerous drone activity – including by drug and human traffickers who have embraced drone technology to facilitate their operations.
- Cassidy introduces the Halt Lethal Trafficking (HALT) Fentanyl Act, which makes permanent the temporary classification of fentanyl and fentanyl analogs as Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).
- Cassidy introduces the Judgment Fund Accountability Act to bar the Treasury Department from using the Judgment Fund, a Treasury fund used to pay court settlements in lawsuits against the government, to provide payments to migrants who entered the country illegally.
- Cassidy introduces the Prohibiting Taxpayer Funded Settlements for Illegal Immigrants Act, which blocks President Biden’s reported plan to pay $450,000 per person in taxpayer money to illegal immigrants separated from their families at the border when detained
- Cassidy delivers floor speech highlighting the nation’s opioid epidemic and its impact on Louisiana.
- Cassidy delivers floor speech on the drop off of migrants in Shreveport, Monroe, and Baton Rouge, Louisiana by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) with little to no notice to state and local officials.
- Cassidy pens op-ed calling on the Biden administration to secure the Southern border.
- Cassidy joined Fox News Sunday to discuss President Biden’s policy failures regarding the Southern border.