To formally request a nomination, please complete the Nomination Application. For materials that you cannot submit via this web form, please send those materials to my Baton Rouge office postmarked no later than November 1, 2017. My address is below:
Office of Senator Bill Cassidy
5555 Hilton Avenue, Suite 100
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Acceptance at a Service Academy involves at least a nine year obligation to the particular service: four years at the Academy and five years with the service.
It is in your best interest to request a nomination through all sources available to you to request nominations through all sources available to you: Presidential, Vice Presidential, Senatorial and your U.S. Representative. If your father or mother serves or served in the military, or was killed in action, you may be eligible for a Presidential nomination. Please contact the Service Academy for more information. To receive a nomination from your U.S. Representative, please visit www.senate.gov/. For Vice Presidential and other Senatorial nominations, you should contact the following:
Senator John Kennedy
SRB11, Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Vice President Mike Pence
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
As of July 1st of the year of admission, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Age: At least 17 by July 1st of entering year, but not older than 23
- Citizenship: U.S. citizen or have obtained citizenship by graduation
- Residency: A legal resident of the United States (and of Louisiana to receive one of my nominations)
- Marital Status or Dependency: Unmarried, not pregnant and have no legal obligation to support a child or dependent
- Academic: Complete SAT I or ACT examinations (Contact individual Service Academies for their specific requirements).
- Health: Must pass academy physical requirements and medical examination
- Character: Of strong moral character
Nomination Application Procedures
To be considered for a nomination by Senator Bill Cassidy, each applicant must submit an application package on or before November 1st of the year preceding desired entry to a U.S. Service Academy.
Late applications or materials received separately (such as letters of recommendation, transcripts or other documents), unless having received prior approval from the Senator’s Service Academy coordinator, will not be considered.
Each package must contain the following:
- Application form
- A resume explaining your extra-curricular activities
- A recent picture of yourself
- High School and/or College Transcript
- An essay of less than 500 words on why you want to attend a Service Academy
- SAT/ACT Scores: Scores may be submitted with the candidate’s high school transcript or directly from the testing services. All testing scores must be received by the end of November, as results received later cannot be considered for our purposes. You are encouraged to retake the SAT or ACT exam in order to improve your academic competitiveness. Academies will accept the highest scores in each academic area, regardless of test date. For example, if a math score is higher on one test date, and a verbal score on another, the Academies will select the highest scores.
- Letters of Recommendation: There is a limit of five letters of recommendation, with a minimum of three. One letter must be written by your High School Principal or Guidance Counselor. The other letters may be written by teachers, coaches, scoutmasters, clergy or community leaders who can accurately comment on your character, abilities and potential for success in a Service Academy environment. Recommendations by family members are discouraged, but will be accepted in extraordinary circumstances. Letters of recommendation do not need to be sealed, but sealing is acceptable if the writer prefers. It is not necessary to send additional certificates, letters, photos, etc., as only the required documents will be used for consideration.
- Delivery Instructions: For your application, extra-curricular resume, essay and picture, please follow the instructions on this web form and finish the form by November 1st. For your transcripts and any SAT/ACT scores that you cannot send to us via the testing services, please mail those to our Baton Rouge office postmarked no later than November 1st. For recommendation letters, please have your recommenders mail them to our Baton Rouge office postmarked no later than November 1st.
Interview with Service Academy Review Board
Once your application file is complete, you will be notified of your interview appointment, which will be scheduled in November or December. To select the best nominees from Louisiana each year, I use a Service Academy Review Board to interview young men and women applying to the Service Academies. This board is comprised of constituents who have graduated from the academies or otherwise are veterans or important community leaders. The board members are volunteers who recommend the top candidates for nomination based on objective and competitive criteria. I rely on this board to screen applicants and to recommend who would best represent Louisiana at our nation’s prestigious Service Academies.
Nominations will be announced no later than January. Furthermore, as Senator Cassidy receives information on who will receive appointments from the Service Academies, that information will be provided to you. Appointment announcements can come as early as January and as late as early June.
Please contact Shawn Hanscom at (225) 929-7711 or (225) 229-8720, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.