WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy, M.D. (R-LA) released the following statement after the U.S. House of Representatives passed Democrats’ reckless $1.75 trillion tax-and-spending spree, which he has consistently opposed.
“This reckless tax-and-spending spree is going to further ignite inflation and torch Americans’ savings. It is more focused on cementing their unpopular agenda than helping American families,” said Dr. Cassidy. “It is a Bad Bad Bad bill.”
The massive spending package is already facing opposition from moderate Democrats in the Senate, which puts the likelihood of Senate passage in doubt. One Senate Democrat vote against the bill would sink it.
Cassidy will vote against Democrats’ Build Back Better Act if a vote is held in the Senate.
Some of the terrible provisions included in the tax and spending spree include:
- Adding $367 billion to the national deficit
- Giving $300 billion in SALT tax deductions, benefiting the wealthy
- Granting mass amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants despite the recent decision by the Senate Parliamentarian that this violates reconciliation rules.
- Does not include the Hyde Amendment, allowing taxpayer dollars to be used to fund on demand abortions.
- Perpetuating labor shortages by eliminating work requirements to receive welfare benefits for able bodied adults – at a time when there are over 10.4 million job openings.
- Expanding Obamacare subsidies through 2025, overwhelmingly benefiting wealthier Americans and subsidizing people who already have insurance.
- Unnecessarily expanding Medicare benefits at a time when the program is going broke, ultimately harming choices for our seniors.
- Adding $800 billion in tax hikes on American employers, hurting American competitiveness.
- Adding $400 billion in small business tax hikes
- Impeding and bans domestic energy and mineral production, increasing our dependencies on resources supplied by OPEC, Russia, and China.
- Raising taxes on natural gas, raising the costs of nearly everything.