WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy, M.D. (R-LA) today blasted the Biden administration’s hypocritical repeal of Title 42—a Trump administration policy that expedited the deportation of migrants at the Southern border to prevent the spread of COVID-19—citing the receding pandemic while still enforcing broad COVID restrictions on American citizens.
Earlier today, Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra said Title 42 “is a health care related law. When the science and the evidence tells us that we no longer need the use of quarantine authority under Title 42 because of healthcare conditions, then Title 42 must come down…,” suggesting there is no public health concerns related to the surge of mostly unvaccinated migrants crossing the border.
“Are we going to require kids in Head Start programs to wear a mask on the playground but not worry about people coming across the border?” asked Dr. Cassidy. “The Biden administration has consistently, consistently lowered barriers for people to come here illegally.”
The Head Start Program still requires that children who are “not fully vaccinated must wear a mask outdoors in crowded settings or during activities that involve sustained close contact,” including outdoor playgrounds.
In contrast, once Title 42 is lifted, an estimated 170,000 migrants are expected to attempt entry into the United States.
Background on Cassidy’s recent work to end illegal migration and drug trafficking:
- Cassidy reacts to Biden rescinding Trump-era policy to stop mass migration.
- Cassidy introduced the Drone Act of 2022, which seeks to criminalize dangerous drone activity – including by drug and human traffickers who have embraced drone technology to facilitate their operations.
- Cassidy introduces the Halt Lethal Trafficking (HALT) Fentanyl Act, which makes permanent the temporary classification of fentanyl and fentanyl analogs as Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).
- Cassidy introduces the Judgment Fund Accountability Act to bar the Treasury Department from using the Judgment Fund, a Treasury fund used to pay court settlements in lawsuits against the government, to provide payments to migrants who entered the country illegally.
- Cassidy introduces the Prohibiting Taxpayer Funded Settlements for Illegal Immigrants Act, which blocks President Biden’s reported plan to pay $450,000 per person in taxpayer money to illegal immigrants separated from their families at the border when detained
- Cassidy delivers floor speech highlighting the nation’s opioid epidemic and its impact on Louisiana.
- Cassidy delivers floor speech on the drop off of migrants in Shreveport, Monroe, and Baton Rouge, Louisiana by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) with little to no notice to state and local officials.
- Cassidy pens op-ed calling on the Biden administration to secure the Southern border.
- Cassidy joined Fox News Sunday to discuss President Biden’s policy failures regarding the Southern border.