WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy, M.D. (R-LA) visited Israel as part of a bipartisan Senate delegation over the weekend to reiterate America’s unwavering support for the Jewish State of Israel. While in Tel Aviv, he met with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu and the war cabinet in addition to the families of Israeli-American hostages being held by Hamas.
Since the October 7th terrorist attacks, Cassidy has:
- Introduced a bipartisan resolution in support of Israel following the brutal terrorist attacks by Hamas;
- Introduced a bipartisan resolution condemning Hamas’s brutal terrorist attacks on Israel and demanding that Hamas release all hostages and allow for their safe return home;
- Urged President Joe Biden to continue putting his full attention on the freeing of American hostages that were taken by Hamas;
- Called on President Biden and the State Department to immediately freeze the $6 billion transfer to Iran; and
- Shared the powerful stories he heard from the loved ones of hostages in Israel;
- Reflected on the evacuation to a bomb shelter on the ground in Israel;
- Stressed that there is no moral equivalency between Israel and Hamas; and
- Demanded answers on U.S. actions to hold Iran accountable for the violations of nuclear program restrictions.
Keep reading for highlights and anecdotes from Cassidy’s Israel trip.
Cassidy: Hamas using Palestinian civilians as ‘tool of war’ and ‘human shield’
U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy said he has two takeaways on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict following his recent trip to Tel Aviv, Israel.
Cassidy spent less than one day in Tel Aviv to meet with Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu, the war cabinet and Benny Gantz, a retired Israeli general and former minister of defense.
The first of his takeaways is that “Israel is looking to protect civilians,” including the distribution of leaflets to inform Palestinians in the northern part of the Gaza Strip to evacuate to the south.
The second important point is “while it is unclear Iran played an active role in activating the attack, they enabled it through a course of time, given the capabilities for Hamas to do that which they expected to do,” he said.
Louisiana Senator Bill Cassidy joins ‘America’s Newsroom’ after meeting with government officials on the ground in Israel.
“Israelis need to know the U.S. stands with them,” said Dr. Cassidy.
Senator Cassidy back in the U.S. after visiting Israel amid its conflict with Hamas
U.S. Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana is just back from a trip to Israel. He was part of a bipartisan group of senators who were part of a whirlwind trip to the Middle East.
Cassidy also met with family members of people taken hostage by Hamas.
“At the end of the day, the most powerful meeting was the family members of those who have been taken hostage,” he said. “When Hamas goes and kills babies, they’re killing babies because their goal is to kill all Jews. It’s not rhetoric, it is their intent.”
Senator Bill Cassidy Recaps His Visit to Israel
Senator tells News 15 he’s fully behind Israel and places fault for bloodshed, on both sides at Hamas’s feet.
Senator Cassidy discusses brutality of attacks on Hamas’ own people after visit to Israel
After visiting Israel, U.S. Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) is underscoring the extreme violence and indifference of Hamas toward humanitarian concerns as they use their own people for human shields.
“They have Hamas terrorists wearing civilian clothing, using civilian vehicles attacking Israeli forces and hiding their operations beneath homes and hospitals in schools,” he said.
Cassidy was among a group of senators who took shelter from rocket fire during their trip to Tel Aviv.